Sunday, January 11, 2009

Goals

Some of my goals for Ghana.


Growing up in a developed country within a middle-class family I have never experienced what it is to want for the “basic” human needs. These things have been given to me. The lottery of birth automatically gave me a myriad of opportunities. Nothing bars my way. I would like to gain an appreciation of this fact.


Through Human Rights advocacy

As an observer I will be able to see the barriers and problems that face Ghanians in their day-to-day lives. This month will enable me to see the big picture. I will be able to learn about a diverse range of difficulties such as human trafficking, women’s rights, HIV/AIDS, poverty, poor sanitation, among others.

The legal system in Ghana is based on the British system. Therefore I will be able to explore law as a future career after my undergraduate degree.

I will be able to see the results of the work that I am doing and assess the effect on the overall health of the country. Does the legal system truly make an impact with the people in the streets or are the things the system endeavors to achieve simply blanket band-aid fixes that truly do nothing for their long-term success?


Through my orphanage work

See the actual affects of poverty, human trafficking, HIV/Aids, poverty and poor sanitation.

By seeing the effects of my teaching and care during the two months, I will be able to see how much is accomplished by volunteering at a grass roots level. This will then be compared to my legal work in the hopes of determining the best method to help the people of Ghana.

Being in a developing country

Experience life without the comforts of the industrialized world. Thereby gaining an appreciation for what I have. I too often take for granted the things I have. The money I spend is often under-utilized and my purchases, flippant. I want to understand the power of money so as to utilize the funds I have.  

I hope to recognize that the world is in fact connected. One cannot simply ignore a problem in the developing world. It is not as easy as turning off the TV when the world vision commercial comes on. 

I want to visit different regions of the country. I want to explore the region and be able to view different sites of cultural significance. This will also serve in my appreciation of the global society we live in. And the importance of every country on every continent.

No comments: